Our merry band of young writers, The Scribblers, posed some particularly brilliant questions to some of the artists appearing at Hay this year. Over the next few weeks we’ll be bringing you their answers. A royal fan fare for PHILIP REEVE.
1. Describe your latest book in 5 words.
Goblins! Magic! Adventures! Mysteries! Cheese!
2. If you had to pick one of your characters to spend the day with, which one would you choose?
Probably some of the characters from Goblins – Henwyn, Skarper, or Princess Ned.
3. Which writer, dead or alive, you would like to collaborate with?
There are lots of authors I admire, but I wouldn’t particularly want to collaborate with them. I like to collaborate with friends, like the illustrator Sarah McIntyre – we’re working on some stories together at the moment.
4. What’s the best thing about writing?
Getting to make things up – people, places, adventures. It’s like playing all day, only you get paid for it!
5. What’s your top tip for budding young writers?
Read all the books you can get your hands on, and write something every day.
Catch Philip at the festival on Saturday 9 June, 1pm